Shortbread Chocolate Chip Cookies
COOKIES AND HOT CHOCOLATE SOY MILK! These are delicious. Who needs egg replacer? not me. Go cornflour! cheap and works just fiiine :)
120g vegan marg
180g plain flour
50g golden sugar caster
50g light brown soft sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1-2Ts soy milk
50g chocolate chips
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
- Cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, then sift in the flour cornflour, baking powder and soda. Mix thoroughly.
- Add enough milk to make a stiff(ish) batter/dough, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press the dough into little patties with your hands and transfer onto a baking sheet (either greased, or covered in a sheet of greaseproof paper).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes on Gas Mark 5.
- They should still be a bit soft when you take them out of the oven, so leave them to one side for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
With Corn on the Cob, Salad and Hummus
Bean burger Recipe:
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices brown seeded bread
- 1Ts tomato pureé
- a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, and pumpkin seeds
- 1 red onion
- 2Ts lime juice (or lemon)
- 1tsp oregano and basil
- 1/2tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2tsp cumin
- plain flour
- Pour the kidney beans into a big mixing bowl and mash with a fork until they’re still a bit chunky.
- Chop the onion finely and fry in a little oil until glassy, then add to the bowl.
- Tear up the bread and rub between your hands into the bowl to make crumbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix thoroughly, then add a small handful of flour and mix in. Keep adding flour in small amounts until it sticks together and you can press it with your hands into three or four small patties.
- Rub a little flour on the outsides then fry on a low heat in a little olive oil, until browned, then flip and repeat.
Serve with salad, or whack em in a bread bun :)
Tomato Marinated Tofu, Bulgar Wheat and Spinach Salad
with sautéed mushrooms, veganaise and balsamic vinegar
I cheated and bought pre-marinated tofu that I definitely can’t afford, but here’s how to cook bulgar if you didn’t know. Bulgar has as much protein as couscous, but with a far nicer texture.
- Place half a cup of bulgar per person in a saucepan
- Add one and a half cups of boiling water for each cup of grains
- Add a stock cube, 1tsp ground coriander and 2Ts of dried basil or parsley
- Bring to the boil, turn the heat right down and leave the lid on for 15 minutes
- Stir in 1-2Ts tomato purée, a little salt and lots of black pepper - I also whacked in a grated carrot :)
- Serve either hot or cold either as a side or tossed into a salad
Rainbow Quinoa and Rice Salad with Lime Dressing (serves 4)
I made a really fresh and zingy salad for lunch today. Its an interesting mix of flavours and colours - I can’t help feel I was influenced by the Gay Pride festivities :) You will need:
- About 100g each of cooked quinoa, white rice and brown rice
- a pink grapefruit, chopped
- an avocado, cubed
- handful of olives from a jar - I used black
- a shake of pumpkin seeds
- half a tin of raw chickpeas
Place the rice and quinoa in a sieve and run under the cold tap to wash off the starchy goo, and cool it down. Drain and toss with the rest of the ingredients in a big bowl. You can make a really good dressing with these things:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2Ts lime juice
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 1tsp agave syrup
- a little salt and pepper
Vegan Waffles, donuts and Chocolate Sauce a la Accidentally Vegan
This is cheesy, creamy, and cheap and achieved without expensive cashews! Makes enough for 4-5 sandwiches/wraps.
- 1 tin of butter beans
- 2Ts nutritional yeast
- 1Ts lemon juice
- 1Ts olive oil
- 1/2tsp veggie stock powder
- 1/2tsp garlic granules (or two cloves)
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 1/2tsp salt
Blend until creamy, adding a little water as needed, to get to the desired consistency. I used 1tsp of turmeric - but it made the spread a little too yellow, luminous in fact - so just use 1/2 haha!
I spooned it into a wrap on top of salad, folded and lightly browned in a frying pan. SOOOO GOOD!
Remember to butter the outsides.
You could spread this in/on anything. Enjoy!
A Late Night Snack
Tell me I’m weird, but i stuck this stuff in a wrap:
a chopped up banana, peanut butter, homemade nutella, cashews and ground cinnamon. You could use jam/jelly if you’re not awesome enough to have vegan nutella.
Anonymous asked: can u use honey if you are vegan?
No honey isn’t vegan, is the simple answer.
The above link explains why :) Hope I helped!